Install Fedora on a new SATA drive from a running release on ide

Mike Insch (as00000042) as00000042 at ordan.org
Thu Apr 15 15:22:07 UTC 2004

In the murky past yavorsky gaetan did say:
> I have a SATA Raid ctl Megaraid 150-4 from LSI Logic.
> I can't install Fedora diretcly on the raid1 partition since I have to
> patch the scsi/sd.c module.
> So, I can install FC1 on an ide drive, make the patch, mount the raid1
> array, ..., and after ?
> How do I copy the "ide release" to the new raid1 array ?
> Hope I've been clear, and sorry for my english.
> Thanks.
> Gy

I recently wrote a howto for something similar - Installing FC1 to the
SATA/RAID Controller on a VIA KT600/VT8237 Chipset.  See:
    http://fedoranews.org/contributors/mike_insch/sata/

You may be able to adapt this to do something similar on your chipset, by
making a driver disk which is used during the installation.  You may need
to do some clever jiggery-pokery to get things working, but it should be
possible to do things at install time.

Since you need to override the stock sd.o module, things may be a bit more
complex for you, but by using the terminal (CTRL+ALT+F2) during setup, you
may be able to remove the default sd.o from the running kernal, and
manually insmod your patched version.
--
Regards, Mike Insch, CCA, DipHE           ______________________________
      ___ ______  ___   ___  __   _      | AntiSpam System In Use With  |