Has anyone set up more than 2 Displays?

Jim Laverty jim at wangtrading.com
Thu Apr 15 20:04:08 UTC 2004

Yes, we are running 4 20" displays on a few of our Dell 450 workstations
using NVidia on RH 7.3 and Matrox cards on RH 9.  You should only be looking
at the PCI based cards, so you can access both video processors and have a
single fluid desktop.  We tested many multi-head cards late last year which
were advertised as working under Linux and found out that they really don't
after much testing under RH 9 (NVidia NVS 400, Matrox G450MMS, Matrox G550,
ATI, Appian X, Appian Rushmore, Colorgraphic Xentera GT 4, etc).

During our testing we ran into speed issues, window fragments being left on
other screens, mouse problems, focus issues, application window positioning
issues, split screen issues, screens looking like they where PGP'd, DVI
support, 3D support, OpenGL support, etc.  Each card behaved differently and
we found out that not many people on the lists were using more than two
monitors successfully.

XIG also develops the Summit drivers for many of the multi-head video cards,
however at the time we tested them (Nov 2003) they did not properly support
many of the cards.  However the guys at XIG really worked closely with us,
in resolving these issues.

We have not tried this under Fedora yet, though we plan to in the future.
Bottom line the NVidia NVS 400 works under RH 7.3 (not RH 9 at the time) and
the Matrox G550 works under RH 9 (2.4.2x kernels).  I have not tried this on
any of our 2.6 based kernels.