nvidia driver rpms rebuilt for 2.4.22-1.2179.nptl

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Apr 15 21:37:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 05:20:51PM -0400, Clint Harshaw wrote:
> On Thursday 15 April 2004 4:31 pm, Axel Thimm wrote:
> I have a fairly newbie question: I want to install the kernel upgrade, so I'll
> do yum update and enter y at the [y/N] prompt. Should I then reboot into the
> new kernel, and then do a yum install nvidia-graphics-kmdl-2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
> and then do yum install nvidia-graphics?

The order is not really important (see also below), but it is easier
to install everything then reboot, instead of doing it in several
passes. But whatever fits you better.

> I'm assuming that I would need to uncomment the related atrpms lines found in
> artoo's yum.conf.

Having ATrpms in your yum.conf would help ;)
Have also a look at http://atrpms.net/install.html

> (I'm asking because with the livna driver, there was the instruction
> recommending that the driver be installed *prior* to booting in the new
> kernel.)

You need the driver installed before entering X, so if you have the
kernel already running you can install the kmdl, and restart X. No
need to reboot (other than for the proper kernel upgrade itself).

Please note that you need to check the generated
/ect/X11/XF86Config.nvidia config file, which is not automatically
copied over /ect/X11/XF86Config by the rpm to avoid any unwanted
effects (e.g. people installing the nvidia-graphics drivers on
ATI, etc.).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net