HowTo: Port Fedora to another platform?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 02:49:01 UTC 2004

Jim Harris wrote:

> First:  Accept my apologies if this has been answered before - I did an
> archive search and did not find anything on this.
> Second:  It is entirely likely that this particular list may not be the one I want > - a pointer to the correct list would be appreciated.

Relevant link about PPC port:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-April/msg00575.html

To sum up, community commitment to porting to new arches is a welcome
community effort, but doing something like a new port is sort of
complicated right now becuase the community contributor infrastructure
isn't up and running. Small groups of people are working towards the
goal of a sparc and ppc porting, but they are starting from some
established outside projects and working from there. I don't know of
anyone who is already actively working on any alpha port, I can't
point you to a good reference to any on going work.
All i know is there are a few people who have expressed interested in
an alpha port, but I don't know if there is an organized effort.

My best advice is to find like minded people and to start actively do
some coding work to start getting the fedora kernel working on yer
box.  Get the ball rolling with some code work, and you are in a
better position later on with the contributor infrastructure comes
online. x86_64 port happened basically because someone in the
community stepped up and took the initiative to get the ball rolling
and started working on the fedora kernel. Iniative can count for a
whole lot, especially when the initative is producing quality code.

-jef