ext3 journaling taking up HDD Space ?

netopml at newview.com netopml at newview.com
Fri Apr 16 18:59:07 UTC 2004

msbenjamin at fedex.com ("Matthew Benjamin") writes:
> /dev/sda1             6.7G  6.6G     0 100% /
>
> This is what my space looks like. This is the / partition. I have 2
> other servers running that are much busier, and one is a older ( a dog
> as far as I'm concerned) however they are running ext2. They have both
> been up and running for 100 days + I rebooted them lately - just for
> fun. Neither one of them just ran out of space however. The /home and
> the /var drives are partitioned off so that the website, ftp, and home
> drives don't mess with the / space.

It's still weird, ext3 takes a little bit more space than ext2 because of
the journal but it's a finite number. Have you checked your temp
directories, try to du -sc /*, etc... I'm willing to bet it's not an ext3
vs ext2 problem...

Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer              E-Mail : mathieu at newview.com
       Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately
                    explained by stupidity.
                     -- Hanlon's Razor --