Solution for when rpm -e just spins at 100% CPU

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 16 20:16:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:02:14AM +0100, Mike Insch (as00000042) wrote:

> I could be completely wrong, but wouldn't:
>     rpm --erase --justdb <hand-deleted-package>
>
> Work just the same way?
>
> Looking at 'rpm --help', the --justdb option is used to touch only the
> database, without affecting the filesystem, and can be used for install,
> upgrade and erase modes...
>
> Just a thought...

If and only if the entire package was removed by hand this
would work.   I almost like the script because if the package
was correctly built the script does not leave cruft.

And yes "rpm -e" in the first place is the best plan.

An interesting option for the the script would be to check for each file and
report on the presence or absence of package parts.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l