Wine and Lotus Notes

Marc Deslauriers marcdeslauriers at videotron.ca
Fri Apr 16 23:00:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 20:48, Jeff Allison wrote:
> Hi all has anyone managed to get lotus notes running under wine on FC1.
> I've tried and it always crashes just after the main window starts.

I've got 6.5.1 running here without any problems. You absolutely need
6.5.1 as it apparently has been specifically fixed to work with Wine.
You also need to copy over the installation from an XP box as the
installer doesn't work.

Here's what I did:

Installed Notes 6.5.1 on a Windows XP box. Configured it with the right
.id file. Edited current location, set Internet browser to "None" (or
Netscape, can't remember).

Zipped up the c:\Program Files\Lotus directory.

Copied over the zip file and mfc42.dll  mfc42u.dll  msvcp60.dll
msvcrt.dll from the windows system directory to the Linux box.

Modified the prelinking configuration to get wine to work well with
Fedora using the instructions at: http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/

Installed the wine-20040213 rpm from sourceforge.

With my user, typed "wine" once to get the .wine directory created.

Dezipped the Notes directory into ~/.wine/c/Program Files
Copied the dlls to ~/.wine/c/windows/system
Created a new temp directory ~/.wine/c/temp

Modified the ~/.wine/config file to comment out "Drive E".
In the [wine] section, added the line: "Temp" = "c:\\temp"
In the [version] section, added the line: "Windows" = "winxp"

I now start Notes with: wine "c:\\program
files\\lotus\\notes\\notes.exe"

The new temp directory was necessary to stop notes from crashing when I
clicked on a message in the Inbox. It seems wine can't write to the /tmp
directory for some reason.

Hope this helps.

Marc.