ACPI, wierd error

Adam Cooper adam.j.cooper at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 17 13:53:02 UTC 2004

Hi guys,

I need help setting up ACPI on my Fedora based laptop.
I have added the acpi=on line to my grub.conf and ACPI seems to
initialise fine. Heres the relevant DMESG:

[snip]
ACPI: RSDP (v000 DELL                                      ) @
0x000fdf00
ACPI: RSDT (v001 DELL    CPi R   0x27d30a06 ASL  0x00000061) @
0x1fff0000
ACPI: FADT (v001 DELL    CPi R   0x27d30a06 ASL  0x00000061) @
0x1fff0400
ACPI: DSDT (v001 INT430 SYSFexxx 0x00001001 MSFT 0x0100000e) @
0x00000000
[/snip]

[snip]
ACPI: Interpreter enabled
ACPI: Using PIC for interrupt routing
ACPI: System [ACPI] (supports S0 S1 S3 S4bios S4 S5)
[/snip]

[snip]
ACPI: AC Adapter [AC] (on-line)
ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT0] (battery present)
ACPI: Lid Switch [LID]
ACPI: Power Button (CM) [PBTN]
ACPI: Sleep Button (CM) [SBTN]
ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports C1, 8 throttling states)
ACPI: Thermal Zone [THM] (47 C)
[/snip]

As you can see everything seems to work. I have the correct directory
structure under /proc/acpi/. All the needed files seem to be there. And
they work too. i.e. I can shut my lid double click on the file for the
lid button and when I open the lid the file will have opened with
"status: closed" clicking on refresh will result in it changing to
"status: closed". All seem well an good.

Now for the bit that doesn't work.

Doing a "tail -f /var/log/acpid" works insofar as it displays the
startup and shut down messages. i.e.

[snip]
[Fri Apr 16 16:48:26 2004] starting up
[Fri Apr 16 16:48:26 2004] 1 rule loaded
[Fri Apr 16 23:09:46 2004] exiting
[Fri Apr 16 23:09:47 2004] starting up
[Fri Apr 16 23:09:47 2004] 1 rule loaded
[Sat Apr 17 11:02:45 2004] starting up
[Sat Apr 17 11:02:45 2004] 1 rule loaded
[/snip]

But it does not display any acpi events that occur i.e. the lid opening
and shutting.
The on/off button also fails to shut down the system as it does on my
desktop.

The gnome battery monitor does its thing though. It tells me my machine
is on battery or ac and what the charge level is. It seems to work fine
so i'm assuming that it does not rely on acpid.

I think that the acpi deamon is not receiving any event notifications.
Which is what the above info suggests. How can I fix it? I want to have
scripts that it controls that will allow me to dim the screen, control
the cpu throttling etc to extend my battery life. I know about these,
but as long as acpid is not working these won't work.

I am running the latest kernel (2179?) on a dell inspiron 5100

Sorry for the length of the post. But things needed explanation.

Thanks for any help
Adam Cooper