FC1 kernel upgrade w/rpms

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sat Apr 17 18:18:23 UTC 2004

John A. Smith wrote:

> Has anyone out there upgraded FC1 to kernel 2.6.5 from the rpms at
> http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/RPMS.kernel/ ?
>
> If so, how did it go? Anything I should know before I try this? Do I
> just run through and install each of the i386/i686 .rpms? C
>
> Also, can this be done using yum apt or up2date?

All you need to do is follow the readme.txt available at
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/ . I've added the following lines to
my yum and apt config (this is what is written in the readme.txt):

apt-get
-------
the kernel rpms are available via apt-get; add the following lines to
your /etc/apt/sources.list file :

# Arjan's 2.6 series kernel repository
rpm http://people.redhat.com arjanv/2.5 kernel
rpm-src http://people.redhat.com arjanv/2.5 kernel

yum
---
Those of us with yum can add the following to /etc/yum.conf:

[2.6testkernels]
name=Test Linux 2.6-test prerelease kernels for RHL9/rawhide
baseurl=http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/

And then , use yum update or apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade.

And that's all.

--
Pedro Macedo