Changing Hostname

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Apr 17 19:54:19 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 17.04.2004 schrieb Clifford Snow um 21:05:

> Everything is working, however, when logging back into Gnome, I received
> an error message stating that Gnome could not fine the oldhost name.
> Once logged in everything seems to work.

That is normal. So it is advised not to change the hostname while
X/Gnome/KDE is running.

> My question is, how do you update the hostname gnome stores?
>
> Also, is there a command that can be run to restart X?  I've built a
> script to change the hostname and would like to eliminate having the
> user restart X.

Why the hell do you need to change the hostname often?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
Sirendipity 21:52:59 up 2 days, 1:42, load average: 0.51, 0.37, 0.26
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]