ext3 journaling taking up HDD Space ?

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Sun Apr 18 04:45:41 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:16:03AM -0500, Matthew Benjamin wrote:
> Has anyone noticed ext3 journaling FS taking using up HDD space over
> time. And if so is there a way to clear it up. My hard drive is loosing
> space fast, I've deleted log files and all that good stuff - but that is
> only buying me time. Any advice.
>
> mattB.

I think it was the slackware install that said, use RieserFs or ext3
for large partition and use ext2 for small parition, boot partition or
paritions which may contain many small files.

I use ext2 for /var /tmp and /boot and ext3 for the rest on Fedora and
Redhat.   This seems to work fairly well.

As the other user stated, you could use smaller inode size, but I
don't know if Redhat/Fedora offers this during install.  The Slackware
installer did offer to allow me to set the inode size.  Stick with the
tips above and you probably won't have any more problems.

There are other simple shell scripts that will search and delete core
dump files and other files using up space on your drive.  Search
google on how to clean your disk in linux.

jay