[NFS] Poor Fedora Core 1's NFS performance and how to tune it?

Guolin Cheng guolin at alexa.com
Sun Apr 18 05:46:12 UTC 2004

Hi, Lever,

 Thanks for you reply. But I just figure out it is a less than obvious
problem... The real problems, FC1 nfs server has a Broadcom gigabit
card, which driver, tg3, is too problematic. So that tg3 driver, either
in the default FC1 kernel, or vanilla 2.4.25 kernel, both bring down the
nfs speed. After I download the bcm5700 driver from Broadcom company
website and patched it into my 2.4.25 vanilla kernel, the nfs speed
jumps to 10.5MB/s! same as other FC1 nfs clients|servers.

Because I installed|tested Broadcom gigabit FC1 hosts at first, so I
easily wrongly blamed FC1 nfs. I feel too shamed of myself now. :(   But
finally I figured out the real problem, then I'm a little proud of
myself again. :)

Hope everyone will notice the FC1 tg3 driver's problem and fix it with
bcm5700 driver.

--Guolin Cheng