Fedora Core 1 post install - sound card test freezes the machine

Michael Mayhew plainmedici at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 19 13:08:17 UTC 2004

Howdy,

First and foremost, the dirty details:
Athlon XP 1700+ processor at 1.1Ghz
256 MB PC2100 DDR-SDRAM
Soyo K6VB (I think) Dragon motherboard
Creative SoundBlaster Live! sound card
OnBoard C-Media 6 channel sound

Alrighty. I just finished installing Fedora Core 1 but not after some heavy
velvet handling of my machine, particularly in the sound department. I had
had the onboard sound disabled before the first time I installed and in the
post installation the SoundBlaster Live! card was detected with the emu101k
driver designated as the proper driver. But when I went to test the sound
card, (pressed the Play Sound/Test button) not only was no sound played but
the system froze and I had to reinstall. I have googled for this topic and
am turning up little in terms of similarity of my problem to those of other
users. I have posted and am awaiting a response to a thread on the Fedora
list with this same information. I am most frustrated because one of the
only things holding me back from making a FULL transition to Linux is my
ability to listen to music on my desktop. Thanks in advance for any and all
assistance. I greatly appreciate it (and the Linux support community, in
general).

Thanks,
plainmedici