DSL Tweaking

Martin Stone martin.stone at db.com
Mon Apr 19 15:04:38 UTC 2004

Wow, there's a candidate for the Most Pointless Response Award...

Actually, there are some values that people often tweak in hopes of getting
better broadband performance, sometimes with pretty decent results.  Since I
don't run Linux at home, I don't know specifics for Linux and broadband, but I
do know that I was able to get an improvement in throughput on Mac OS X by
setting the following sysctl values:

net.inet.tcp.sendspace: 65536
net.inet.tcp.recvspace: 65536
net.inet.udp.recvspace: 73728
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack: 0

There may be something analogous that you can do in Linux.  The idea behind the
sendspace/recvspace lines is to increase the size of some TCP/IP fragmentation
buffers so that you can send and receive more packets at a time.  The
delayed_ack flag turns off a waiting behavior of TCP with regard to
acknowledgement packets.

Your mileage may vary, etc., but there's no harm in fooling around with sysctl
and /proc/sys/net to see if you can get some better throughput.  Also, check out
ip-sysctl.txt in the /usr/src/linux*/Documentation/networking directory for some
rather sketchy documentation on what all those values do.