DSL Tweaking

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Mon Apr 19 16:05:45 UTC 2004

Jay Daniels wrote:

>On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 03:49:12PM -0700, Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell wrote:
>

>>On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 05:24:31AM -0700, edwarner99 at yahoo.com wrote:
>>

>>>I know that Linux if pretty efficient at optimizing
>>>DSL connections and speed, but was wondering if there
>>>are any "tweaks" to be aware of to speed up downloads?
>>>

>>Linux will see the DSL connection the same way it
>>sees any network connection.
>>
>>The important thing with DSL is the DLS modem's firmware.
>>Go the the manufacturers site and look for updates.
>>

>I am curious about how my ParaDyne ReachDSL works.  For instance, is
>my gateway address supplied by my isp the actual ip address of this
>dsl modem/device?
>
>Is there a port to get information from this ParaDyne device?  It is
>an external dsl modem device, but I'm told it's not really modem.
>does it have an ip?
>

>jay

I use Paradyne RADSL for some of my customers when their is no other
way of getting high speed to them. Paradyne equipment is a little
strange to get used to, but it works well.

In Paradyne's terms, what you have at your end is called an Remote
Termination Unit {RTU}. The RTU usualy has an IP assigned to the
ethernet interface. You should not attempt to mess with your RTU,
it will not likely end well. In order to update the firmware, or
reprogram the RTU, your ISP will have to make the changes. Most
RTU's will only accept updates from the phone line connection.
Paradyne RTU's are a type of modem [MOdulator DEModulator], but
are only compatible with a Paradyne DSL Access Multiplexer {DSLAM}.

The IP address of your RTU is the gateway you were given from your
ISP. Most of the RTU's I have worked with, are only configurable
with SNMP from the phone connection side of the RTU.

If you need more speed, there are settings your ISP can make on your
RTU, but most adjustments come with a price. The price I speak of can
be monitary or somthing else like reliability. The higher your speed
is, the higher your ISP needs to be or their is less speed available
for their other customers, so they will want to charge more. If your
connection is far away from the wiring center, then your ISP has
probably set your connection for reliability, rather than speed. If
you have the speed increased, you may get higher burst speeds but
you will likely get more drop outs and connection resets.

I hope that helps.