nv verses the world

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Apr 19 23:53:41 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 20.04.2004 schrieb mal um 01:30:

> I read a post that a guy called Alan made that the 3D video folks would

hehe - "a guy called Alan" :)

You don't know Alan Cox? Then you might want to use google and search
for that 'guy'.

[ $ grep -nri "Alan Cox" /usr/src/linux-2.4/* | wc -l
788 ] - no comment

> rather work with friendlier vendors than Nvidia. I have also noticed
> that there is a lot of  post along the lines of  ' nv doesn't do this or
> that' and that NVidia binary explodes with FC2. All this is a bit
> depressing since I have an Nvidia card too!  I even went to the trouble
> of building a new kernel so that the Nvidia would work, which is a bit
> daunting for a beginner and is a real pain.  So I figured it may take
> weeks ( if ever) for Fedora and Nvidia to play nicely together but it'll
> only take me 20mins to go down to PCWorld and get another video card.
> So the question is ... What is the most capable card that I can get that
> is totally supported by GPL drivers.  I know this is really a back to
> front way to solve this problem but I am fed up with this situation.

I think after Fedora Core 2 will be finally released it will not take
that long until NVidia (and ATI too) will publish a closed source driver
that runs on that new platform.

Which graphics card is recommended for you depends mostly from what you
expect the card to do. If you are a gamer and you need 3D acceleration
then you would choice an actual NVidia or ATI card and necessarily you
must use the vendor drivers. If you can live with brilliant 2D screen
features and quality and just small 3D capabilities you might look at
Matrox cards.

> best wishes

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
Sirendipity 01:43:51 up 1 day, 8:29, load average: 0.07, 0.18, 0.35
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]