nv verses the world

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Tue Apr 20 14:27:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 13:30, J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
> mal wrote:
> > So the question is ... What is the most capable card that I can get that
> > is totally supported by GPL drivers.  I know this is really a back to
> > front way to solve this problem but I am fed up with this situation.
>
> I have tried the ATI Radeon 9000.  I'm told the ATI Radeon 9200 is slightly
> faster and also a drop-in instantly-workable card.  As I understand it,
> there are multiple brands under which one can get these cards.
>
> For me, using the ATI Radeon 9000 was as easy as shutting off the computer,
> physically pushing the card into the AGP slot, turning on the computer, and
> FC1 figured out the card when I installed the OS.  I'm guessing either kudzu
> or picking the card from a list of video cards in the Display control panel
> should do the trick.  In any event, it was easy and hassle-free.
>
> I don't think the relevant drivers are GPL'd, but they are still free
> software instead of proprietary drivers.
>
> Good luck.

Just did this today, with the intention of running UT2004. I picked up a
256M Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis, then replaced my 128M Inno3D FX5600
(nothing wrong with it but the 3D driver incompatibility with FC2's
kernel). Kudzu didn't find the card, and system-config-display
tracebacked on me (ok, chalk this up to "test-2") but I hand edited the
config file easily enough and had it running shortly thereafter with dri
enabled. Further tweaking, and 4xAGP was working as well (Add Option
"AGPMode" "4"). TuxRacer liked this alot, but UT2004 needed me to back
down to 16-bit color and 2x AGP before it was stable. Still, not too
shabby.

--
Chris Kloiber