Wireless network card setup, Fedora Core 1...

Eric Diamond eric at ediamond.net
Tue Apr 20 15:09:25 UTC 2004

Tuesday, April 20, 2004 8:55 AM Jay Daniels
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 08:09:54AM -0400, Michael Mayhew wrote:
> > Also, since I don't have internet until this
> > card is installed,
>
> What about a wireless router and connect it directly to your
> network card.  Wouldn't a good wireless router handle the
> security/encryption for the wireless network and as long as
> the wireless router had a web interface to control it and
> used tcp/ip and encrypted the data over the air, it would
> seem to me that any Linux box with a working network
> interface would work?
>
> I don't understand your problem or why you must install a
> wireless adaptor to setup a wireless network?  Couldn't you
> use a wireless router like the one I described above and
> avoid all this confusion?
>
> Perhaps I'm lost, I have not setup a wireless router, but as
> I understand it that's how it works.  Comments please???

Michael stated pretty clearly that he was trying to install this card to
connect to an existing wireless network. Hence the comment that this
machine would not have internet access until the card was running.

Trying to use a router or access point to convert from wireless to wired
access won't work unless the owner of the router/access point on the
other end was willing to set up wireless bridging. Actually, after
rereading that last sentence, I realized that it wouldn't work at all
using wireless routers. I haven't seen a router yet that would run as
one half of a wireless bridge.

Now if the other end was an access point only, then it might have the
capability to run in bridge mode, but if the owner set it up that way it
would stop working as an access point and then the other users of the
wlan would be SOL.

Eric Diamond
eDiamond Networking & Security
303-246-9555