FIXED - Re: yum update 2179 kernel

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Tue Apr 20 17:04:43 UTC 2004

> - From your partition table, it looks strongly to me like your real boot
> partition is at /dev/hda1.  So all you need to do is edit the /etc/fstab
> about LABEL=/boot to read instead there /dev/hda1
>
> /dev/hda1             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
>
> keep the rest of the file the same.  You'll need to be root when you
> edit /etc/fstab.  Make sure it's right, save, then that's it, reboot.

BIG THANKS guys!  That fixed it.  I then did rpm -e kernel.....2179 again,
then ran up2date again and it installed the 2179 kernel without error.  THIS
TIME, however, on reboot, I got the new kernel in the graphical boot screen
as the default choice, and things are back to normal.  Now, who knows how
this got messed up in the yum update process??  ;-)

Now, confessions of a newbie, AKA the rest of the story - When I used vim to
edit fstab, I managed to make an error, and that really messed things up
when rebooting!  However, I booted with a Knoppix CD and managed to mount /
and correct my fstab typo.  Then another reboot and things were fine!

Thanks again to Andy and everyone that helped sort this out.  - John