Documentation for Bind in Fedora Core 1

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Tue Apr 20 21:19:17 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 20.04.2004 schrieb david um 22:53:
> Friends
>
> It appears that the man-page that comes with FC1 describing "named" is not
> quite right.  In particular, it refers to the default configuration file
> being in /etc/named.conf (where I had it in RedHat 7.2), whereas the Fedora
> release notes have some references to an alternate location in  /var.   So,
> when I put my conf file back to /etc/named.conf, things didn't quite work
> as expected.

If you only install bind it's ok, if you also install bind-chroot bind
is executed inside the chrootened environment in /var/named/chroot. So
you have to put the configuration file to
/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf and the zonefiles inside
/var/named/chroot/var/named/var/named(/slaves).

> I wonder if this could be explained, maybe even in the release notes.

Did you read them???

Quote from the release notes:

"The BIND nameserver has had its security tightened. The /var/named/
directory is no longer owned by "named", but rather by "root". Slave
zone files should now be stored in the new /var/named/slaves/ directory,
which is owned by "named". In addition, a new bind-chroot package makes
it possible to run the named daemon in a chroot() "jail" (located in
/var/named/chroot/) for greater security."

So please be so kind as to read the release notes next time before you
post a question like this.

Christoph