A small problem with e1000 Net driver.

GianPiero Puccioni gip at ino.it
Wed Apr 21 10:01:41 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have some problems with a machine (Fujitsu dual Xeon) with an on
board Intel 82540 network card.
This is what kudzu reports:

device: eth0
driver: e1000
desc: "Intel Corp.|82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller"

The problem is that it takes a long time to start and the mount of some
NFS directories fails at boot. I tried to "ping" the machine when it
boots and the first ping I get back is when the login screen is already
on. If I try a network stop/start it takes 18/20 seconds before the
network works, even if I get an [OK] almost immediately.

The machine is connected to a Cisco switch and I thought that the problem
could be negotiating the speed so I tried to force eth0 to 100M FD with
"options Speed=100 Duplex=2" in modules.conf but it made it even slower,
and it gave an error about "Speed, AutoNeg and MDI-X" being
incompatible(??).
Only thing I can think is to put a delay in rc.local and mount the NFS
directory there, but I hope there is a better solution.

Additional info,"dmesg" has this:

Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 5.1.13-k1
Copyright (c) 1999-2003 Intel Corporation.
divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
eth0: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
divert: freeing divert_blk for eth0
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 5.1.13-k1
Copyright (c) 1999-2003 Intel Corporation.
divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
eth0: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
e1000: eth0 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex

I don't know anything about this "divert_blk" is this a problem?
And this is only the first time, with a "network restart" only the last
two lines appear, but the delay is still present.

Any help?

Thanks,
  GianPiero

*  Istituto Nazionale di Ottica Applicata              GianPiero Puccioni  *
*  Largo E.Fermi 6                            E-Mail :         gip at ino.it  *
*  I-50125  Firenze - ITALY     Tel +39 055 23081  -  Fax +39 055 2337755  *