Rsync and Compression

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 21 10:13:02 UTC 2004

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 06:59:37AM +0100, WipeOut wrote:
>

>>I have created a script that will backup some files from my web server
>>to my local server via the internet.. I will be using Rsync over SSH..
>>
>>I am unsure of the best way to impliment compression since bothe Rsync
>>and SSH have the ability to compress data..
>>

>On a local link I turn compression off.  The CPU effort and latency to
>compress then uncompress does not justify the time saved in transfer
>time.

Yes but my backup will be going via the internet so I would rather
sacrifice CPU cycles and save bandwidth..

>Also most digital content (images, rpms) do not compress enough to
>justify the cycles.  Some increase in size....
>
>Since this depends on your content and your local system capabilities
>I can only advise you to list all the possible environment knobs in
>your script and then benchmark by turning them on and off.

Yea, I can see thats what I will end up having to do, I was hoping
someone would have known the answer..

>Of interest if compression proves to be an advantage for backups then
>you should check into compression on the httpd server side.  It is
>possible to present compressed content to an aware client that is then
>expanded locally by the browser.

Already being used on my web server.. :)

But the backups are not over http so I am investigating the compression..