XDMCP broadcast

Eric Diamond eric at ediamond.net
Wed Apr 21 14:17:43 UTC 2004

Wednesday, April 21, 2004 5:55 AM Dhananjoy Chowdhury asked:
> I want to connect my Fedora box using Exceed tool from a windows
machine.
> But my Exceed tool lists the Sun machines.It does not list the fedora
box.
> Please tell me how i can make my Fedora box for making XDMP
broadcasts.

No problem! Go to Gnome Menu >> System Settings >> Login Screen. Click
on the XDMCP tab and check Enable XDMCP. When you click on close it
should tell you that you need to restart X. Simply log out and back on.

May I ask why you are paying for Exceed. While it's a decent enough
piece of software, it dates back from when there weren't any decent free
implementations of X for the windows. You should really check out
Cygwin. http://www.cygwin.com/

Wednesday, April 21, 2004 6:05 AM dballester at kernpharma.com replied
with:
> You must disable 'Never permit TCP connections' in the
> Security tab. The local firewall will block X protocl, too.

Actually, no you don't. I'm not sure just what unchecking that enables
(I'm in a hurry this morning and don't have the time to do the relevant
research) but I suspect it allows direct TCP access to the running X
server. XDMCP uses UDP and brokers the X connections actually spawning a
new X server for each remote connection. I leave that checked and run
remote desktops all the time.

What you really need to pay attention to on the Security tab is whether
or not you want root to be able to log into X remotely. (Root could
always ssh in and then run startx.)

Eric Diamond
eDiamond Networking & Security
303-246-9555