Netatalk update

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed Apr 21 16:58:09 UTC 2004

Polashek, Matthew wrote:

>There is a long answer but suffice it to say it has to do with printer
>sharing and an older OS9 Macintosh that has a huge hard drive.  I did
>discover an answer on the Netatalk-admin mailing list to my problems.
>Apparently one mus enable 10.2 to connect to appleshares.
>
>Matthew Polashek

Hi

I am using netatalk-1.5.5 on a FreeBSD machine now, but it used to
be on a RedHat Linux machine.

There is a trick to get OS X to work with Netatalk.

### start of afpd.conf {this should be all on one line} ###
- -tcp -ddp -uamlist uams_guest.so,uams_clrtxt.so,uams_dhx.so passwd: setpassword ,savepassword -loginmesg "Message required to make OS/X work"
### end of afpd.conf ###

For some reason, OS X will not connect if there is not a login message.

The message is just what I put, when messing around trying to make it
work with our OS X machines, I don't see any reason why it couldn't be changed.

OS X only uses TCP, MacOS 8+ can use TCP or DDP, MacOS older than 8 only uses DDP.

The uamlist is required for compatability, some versions of MacOS don't
support clear text and others seem to require it.

If you install webmin, there is a Netatalk module for setting up shares
and users.