CUPS printing stopped working for users

festus festus at frognet.net
Wed Apr 21 17:43:49 UTC 2004

Good afternoon all,
I don't print a whole lot at home, so I'm not exactly sure when this
happened, but it was within the last 3 weeks. So here's what's going on now.

1 Users cannot print from ANY Gnome or KDE applications. No error message is
received.
2 Users can print from the command line.
3 root can print from anywhere.
4 Users can print a test page from Print Manager after giving root password
for access.

I've tried deleting and re-installing the printer. No help.
I've tried removing and re-installing CUPS and Ghostscript RPM's. No help.

Research on the web led to the following page at Debian' users list.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/debian-user-200404/msg00841.html

This pretty much exactly matches both my symptoms and my log output.
However, no resolution was offered, and trying to contact the author hasn't
worked.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John