CD player does not send output to sound card

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Apr 22 02:12:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 08:54:18AM +0700, Ketut Parikesit wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm totally newbie in Linux, and I'm having lots of
> problems but I'm determined to tackle them one at a time.
>
> At the moment the problem that I'm having is with my
> CD-Rom drive. It doesn't seem to send the audio output to
> the soundcard. Whenever I put an audio CD in there, Fedora
> recognized it right away and plays the audio track, but no
> sound comes from the speaker. But when I rip the CD into
> the hard disk, the sound comes OK.
>
> I can only get the sound if I plug the speakers directly
> into the headphone jack of the CD ROM drive. If I plug the
> speaker to the jack of the soundcard, I get no sound at
> all.
>
> It could be some wiring problem (hardware problem), but it
> works with Windows XP.

do you have an audio cable from the analog output jack on the back
of the CDROM drive connected to the CD input on the sound card? You
need that. I think that the later versions of Windoze Medium Player
support transporting digital audio thru the PC data bus, but AFAIK
for linux you still need the analog cable.

having verified that, fire up the volume control/mixer applet and
see if you need to adjust any sliders or mute buttons.

Fred

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.