Logs and how to read them

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 22 09:02:38 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 12:06:32AM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> ..... Check your
> Sendmail setup (sendmail.mc and access) - if you like, then send your
> setup files - and run agains open relay checkers like:
>
> http://spamlinks.openrbl.org/tools-relay.htm
>
> http://www.abuse.net/relay.html
> http://www.ordb.org/submit/

One positive side effect of using a relay checker is that your log
file will show you the relay attempts.  This is in addition to the
site reporting pass or fail on the various tests.  That can help you
understand how to read this specific log type.

I do not recommend that you make a short term modification to your
sendmail config to allow relaying.  If you did you might also discover
what a successful relay attempt looks like.  :-0

If by chance you do have an open relay please post the log lines as
reference.  ;-)

Regards,
mitch