Huge Partition

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Apr 22 15:55:39 UTC 2004

At 16:17 4/21/2004, you wrote:
>Creating the partition with fdisk seems to have improved things. The df
>utility now reports 1.8T for the partition, the 0.2T being used up in
>overhead. That's more like it!

200GB in overhead? That's about 10%. Why so high?

Root normally reserves space on a partition to prevent the disk filling up
totally and crashing the system, but that's normally just 5%, so where's
the other 5% (100GB) going? You can check how much space is "reserved" for
root with:

# tune2fs -m /dev/hda1

You can also adjust it to 2% instead of 5% (since your filesystem is so
large) via:

# tune2fs -m 2 /dev/hda1

See the man page for more details or if I've made any mistakes.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com