How to migrate mail server from Notes R5 to FC1 Smtp

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Apr 22 19:26:45 UTC 2004

Adam Lanier wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:43:16 +0200
> yavorsky gaetan <gaetan.yavorsky at easy-france.com> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for your advise, but the Notes serveur is a black box outside of
>>my company, and I have no acces on it.
>>Regards
>>Gaetan
>

> Ouch, that does make it more of a challenge doesn't it?
>
> There's no simple way to export the mail data from Notes into a suitable format for your needs.
>
> This is a poor alternative but, you could write an agent to forward mail from the old mailboxes to their new mailbox.
>
> If you're running Notes clients locally, you could simply replicate their mailboxes to their local machines (for reference only, of course).  Or replicate the mailboxes to a (temporary) Domino box so you could setup an IMAP interface.
>
> If you can't get the admin of the Notes box to setup IMAP for you, how about using iNotes/webmail to get an http interface to the mail?  With some serious scripting, you could then spider all the mail data from the Domino box to the new mail server.

If you can get IMAP up on the Notes box, why not use fetchmail to get
the mail into your clients' mailboxes.  Of course you need their login
info to fetch the messages, but it's fairly clean.
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -