Huge Partition

Steve Wampler swampler at noao.edu
Thu Apr 22 19:31:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 12:10, Martin Stone wrote:

> > Holy smokes - are inodes really up to 1K each?  Now I *really* feel
> > old...
> >

> Well, nothing can be smaller than a block, remember...  Or wait, can it now?  Oh
> man, now *I* feel old.

I'm pretty sure inodes started life as 64-byte entities (you can
pack multiple inodes into a block by using / and % to locate
the block and the offset in the block).  However, I suspect that
64-bytes is too small these days and inodes have kept up with
inflation.   And it wouldn't surprise me if all the different
filesystems now have different inode sizes - anyone know?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Wampler -- swampler at noao.edu