Info about Radeon cards

Jon Shorie jshorie at medinaco.org
Fri Apr 23 11:55:50 UTC 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 10:47, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> >Is anybody using a SAPPHIRE RADEON 7000 video card or a SAPPHIRE RADEON
> >9200SE 128MB? I must replace my old MGA 200 and i could get on of those
> >for a very few money, but i wonder if they do well with fedora.
> >
> >The most important thing is to be able to use Svideo out for Divx
> >playing. Any info is greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> I have an ATI Radeon 9200SE, which is probably either exactly or nearly
> the same thing (I admit I know nothing about this "Sapphire," but it
> must be a re-branded ATI Radeon). Although I have only 64Mb on mine. It
> works fine out of the box on FC1.
>
> A colleague of mine has the same card, and had trouble getting X to
> start properly, but it was a different monitor, and that was the
> problem--the Radeon was identified properly. Always amazes me that the
> monitor can cause so much trouble.

I have read that the Saphire cards can be a little unstable with some
motherboards (not sure which though) but this problem seems to be rare.  I am
running A radeon 7000 with Fedora and it is Rock solid.

You may want to look into the FIC or Diamond cards though if you want
something very inexpensive.  Tigerdirect.com has the 9200SE for $29.99 after
rebate.  They have the Diamond Stealth S60 Radeon 7000 card for $34.99
without a rebate.  This is the same price that they sell the Saphire for (As
of 4/23/2004).