Booting stops with 2.6.5-Kernel

Dan Weisenstein dan at tesoro.com
Fri Apr 23 23:03:28 UTC 2004

Thomas Bitschnau wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I installed a 2.6.5-Kernel via rpm. The entry in the grub.conf file was
>done by the system.
>If I try to start the system with the newly installed kernel, it just
>stops booting after the "Freeing unused kernel memory: 148k
>freed"-message.
>There are no errors like kernel-panic or something.
>
>What shall I do now?
>--
>Thomas B.
>
>GIVE: Support the helpless victims of computer error.

To at least get you back to a running condition, you could boot up with
a rescue disk or self contained linux distro (like knoppix), mount your
partition that has /boot on it, and change the vmlinuz link back to your
old kernel. Don't know if you'll have to change your grub.conf file (in
/boot/grub) or anything else. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Dan

--
Dan Weisenstein
General Manager