Langa bashing (was Re: Problems getting Linux into homes)

Craig Thomas cjtinhp at optonline.net
Sat Apr 24 15:43:56 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 10:48, Sean Estabrooks wrote:
> It's beside the point because all that matters is the end result.   There
> are a lot of factors that make up a "Linux experience" for a user.
And I would argue that a home user reading the article comes away with
the impression that Linux is not for them because it fails to work with,
for instance, their modem.  When the reason their modem doesn't work
with Linux is because it's manufacturer didn't see fit to release a
compatible driver.  How's this for an end result?

> Yes, you're right to agree.  And you're agreeing with the main thrust of
> the article.
Yes, as stated, I agree with the conclusion. Just not the argument put
forward to support the conclusion.

> You're getting hung up on the blame game.
"I'll name names later (if you've been following along, you may know who
it is anyway), but the problem I'm discussing isn't specific to one
distribution--- it's far more widespread than that."

Who's hung up on the blame game?

> Hardware support (from
> wherever it comes) is an integral part of the overall success or failure
> a person will have when they try Linux.
Yes it is.  I would even go so far as to say the integral part.

> To sully the author of an article who honestly outlines a real experience
> seems  unhelpful.
I didn't sully the author, just his argumentative positioning.

> Sean

-Craig