Hang at Boot-Presario 2585US

J. Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Sun Apr 25 01:52:08 UTC 2004

> Message: 8
> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:01:32 -0500 (EST)
> From: aachary1 at binghamton.edu
> Subject: Hang at Boot-Presario 2585US
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>
> Hi,
>
> I have just installed Fedora core. The system hangs while booting up. It
> goes to the screen which has a computer monitor/cpu, a progress bar and
> below the progress bar, there is following link "show details". The system
> just hangs up at this screen.

Arpan:  I'm not sure that I can solve your problem, but I hope I can help at
least get you off top-dead-center.

When the "Show details" link appears, does the system continue to boot for a
little while, or does it hang as soon as "Show details" appears?  If the
first case is true (my guess is that this is likely), then click that link
as soon as it appears.  This will show you the process-by-process boot
messages.  Every process that comes up successfully will show an [OK] in
this series of messages; and the flow of messages should stop at the process
that is breaking.  Knowing what is broken is the first step to working this
out.

You can examine this output (in general) via the boot log, but you can't get
there until the system comes up, so you need this procedure.

I don't recall if the Presario is a laptop or a desktop system.  The one
situation I have seen where Fedora hangs on boot is with a wireless network
connection.  I see this on my laptop all the time.  You have to keep the
wireless from initializing until the system boots and then bring up the
network interface later.   There is a fix for this (search the archives for
it), but I don't know if or how well it works.

If you are being bothered by the wireless kernel bug, you can work around it
by booting interactively.  Type 'i' when you are prompted for "interactive
startup" (this will come up quickly, so pay close attention).  You can let
everything come up except for 'eth0' or whichever is the wireless interface.
Bring it up later.

You can use interactive startup also to investigate where you are hanging up
too.  Once you see how it goes, I think it will be easy for you to see where
your problem lies.  Come back if you solve the problem, or if you have more
information.

> The only problem that i had while isntalling Fedora, was that it didn't
> detect my laptop monitor, so I chose the default choice "unprobed
> monitor". This may not be related to the above problem at all, but thought
> I shall let you know.

I don't think that this will influence your problem.  If the monitor
settings were awry, then I'd expect the screen to be corrupted or blank, or
to have X fail to start.  The fact that you get the graphical boot screen
argues against that situation.

> Please help!
>
> Regards,
> Arpan.