Yum Feature Idea/Request

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 25 01:53:38 UTC 2004

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell <mitch48 at sbcglobal.net> said:
> > On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 05:43:10PM -0400, Phil Hagen wrote:
> > > I'd like to be able to specify just a certain repository (or more than
> > > one) to use for yum actions.  For example, I have about 5 or so
> > > repositories in /etc/yum.conf because I like to keep an eye on the
> > > non-official
> > > yum --repo=updates-released update
> >
> > How does this differ from -c [config file]
> >
> >    yum -c /etc/yum-updates-released update
> >    yum -c /etc/yum-watch-list list updates
> >    yum -c /etc/yum-watch-list update foo
> >
> > To me it seems that multiple config files works just fine.
> > If I wanted to I could script up a wrapper (my-yum) that
> > did the same thing you are asking (use -c under the hood).
>
> That is more complicated to set up and maintain.  For example, you have
> to list your base repositories in all config files (so dependencies can
> be satisfied), so now you have to have the same configuration data in
> multiple files, and that duplication is never a good thing.
>
> I have multiple repositories listed, but sometimes I just want to get an
> "official" Fedora Core update; the only current way is multiple config
> files, which is irritating.

Multiple config files (with duplicate info) currently works. The
alternative is to add group-repostiories support to yum. Something
like the following in /etc/yum.conf

--------
default-rep-group=rep-1,rep2

group all-repositories=rep-1,rep-2,rep-3
group my-special-rep=rep-3

[rep-1]
baseurl=...

[rep-2]