Motherboard Change- will Fedora survive?

Jonathan Rawle jr36 at leicester.ac.uk
Mon Apr 26 14:10:11 UTC 2004

Gary Waters wrote:

> Yes, this is a newbie question...sorry ;-)
>
> I presently have an ECS K7S5A motherboard with an SIS-735 chipset. I'm
> running an AMD XP2000+ CPU. I am considering upgrading to the ECS KT-600
> Motherboard with a VIA KT600 Chipset:
>
> http://www.ecsusa.com/products/af1lite.html
>
> The Board does have SATA ports, which I will not be using. I will more
> than likely upgrade to an XP2600+ or higher CPU.
>
> My question is simple: will Fedora survive the transition and/or what
> should I expect in terms of results?

I replaced my motherboard a while back, and the only problem was caused by
moving the hard disk to a different controller (hde to hda). As far as I
could see, there were no references to hde anywhere, yet the filesystem
check at boot was still looking for hde and thought there was a serious
disk error - it dropped to a root shell and refused to go further. In the
end, I had to comment out the relevant lines in rc.sysinit. After booting,
I put the lines back, and from then onwards it worked perfectly.

I reported this in one of the newsgroups at the time, but no-one could
figure out why this problem occurred.

Once that problem was solved, all other hardware was detected perfectly,
including graphics, sound, USB hubs, etc. So unless you are moving the hd,
it should be fine.

Jonathan