Motherboard Change- will Fedora survive?

Ed Gurski ed at gurski.com
Mon Apr 26 14:31:22 UTC 2004

Gary Waters wrote:

> Yes, this is a newbie question...sorry ;-)
>
> I presently have an ECS K7S5A motherboard with an SIS-735 chipset. I'm
> running an AMD XP2000+ CPU. I am considering upgrading to the ECS
KT-600
> Motherboard with a VIA KT600 Chipset:
>
> http://www.ecsusa.com/products/af1lite.html
>
> The Board does have SATA ports, which I will not be using. I will more
> than likely upgrade to an XP2600+ or higher CPU.
>
> My question is simple: will Fedora survive the transition and/or what
> should I expect in terms of results?

Just over 18 months ago, my main system was an old HP Pavilion (Pentium
II). I had been running Linux on this for about 18 months. This system
contained my DNS, NTP, Samba, Squid, etc... I think you get how
important this server was!

When it died suddenly, I was faced with the task of building a new
system. I went to my favorite PC hobby shop (PC Microcenter) and bought
a bare bones system. To make a long story short, I had 3 bad power
supplies, so the last time it was replaced, I had them load boot the
system first.

Well, the manager asked me what OS I was running. When I told him LInux,
he smiled and called on of his Windoze bigots to watch the system boot.

system recognized that the hardware platform had changed (P II to P
III), and proceeded to reconfigure itself and boot properly. The only
minor problem I has was my swap space since I upgraded from 128 MB to
512 MB. I changed that and the system has been running smoothly ever
since.

So, go ahead and change the hardware, Linux is not as dependent or
stringent as Windoze....

Ed