New hardwareraid is not found

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Tue Apr 27 13:50:21 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz schrieb:

> Am Di, den 27.04.2004 schrieb Götz Reinicke um 10:02:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I recently attached a new SATA2SCSI Hardwareraid to my Dell Poweredge
>>1650 running Fedora Core Linux. The Raid is a Starline easyraid X8P with
>>8 * 160 GB SATA as a raid 5.
>>
>>The server is running fine so far and its SCSI-Bios has found the raid.
>>
>>But Linux isn't showing the RAID :-( I can't fdisk /dev/sdb and there is
>>no entry of showing the disk in the logs or dmesg.
>>
>>Any Ideas, did I miss something....?
>>

>>Regards
>>
>>Götz Reinicke
>

> Can you describe the "SATA2SCSI" hardware RAID a bit more? Is it a
> controller card to which you can plug SATA IDE drives and the controller
> appears as SCSI to the system? So the controller card certainly needs
> driver support. Didn't you ask Starline before buying that hardware
> whether it is Linux prepared? What does Starline say is the correct SCSI
> kernel driver module for the card?

The Raid is an external box in which the SATA Drives are plugt in and
has a SCSI Interface. Starline says, the Raid is system independant; we
use two different other RAIDs from tham without needing special drivers.
Thats the same Starline says about the new raid.

The Raid should be seen as a big harddisk.

Regards Götz
--
Götz Reinicke
IT Koordinator - IT OfficeNet