converting user to linux

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Tue Apr 27 14:35:39 UTC 2004

my wife has expereinced microsoft windows trouble.  mainly, virus and
trojan problems and the free avg program doesn't help resolve or
remove these virus'

i see this as an oppertunity to convert her to Linux on her Sony VAIO
laptop.  however, i don't want to hear her bitchin' and complaining for
the next 20 years or ever how long i have left;)

she bought me a licensed copy of windows xp pro last year.  after
experimenting with this os for a few weeks, i removed the windows
partition and upgraded to fedora from rh 9.

she is reasonable in thinking since i no longer use xp pro, that i
could install it on her laptop.  i tried to explain that would require
calling microsoft and getting them to activate this copy of xp pro on
another machine which is all legal since i no longer have xp installed
on my box.  well, i've already switched boxes twice with this copy of
XP and i'm not calling them again:)

then again, it may not be legal?

i also tried to explain that wiping the drive on the laptop and
reinstalling is not as easy as it use to be, especially when dealing
with xp on a laptop.  in fact, it may even be easier to install
fedora!

i think as long as i can get mp3's to play requiring her builtin sound
to work and get her dvd/cdrw to work she would be statisfied with
fedora.  i would not have to install any smtp server or email clients
since she uses squirrelmail on my server and also yahoo for mail.

with all the security patches and updates with XP, restoring and
updating and patching may take 48 hours or more.  plus installing all
those other programs not included with Windows, this may take a week!

it may be more practical to install fedora on this sony laptop.
laptop: Sony VAIO
model is: PCG-FR130
sony dvd cdrw drive

what do you think, do i stand a chance to convert her to Linux or am i
wasting my time?  she basically uses the laptop as a desktop pc to
read mail via a webmail service, surf the net, purchase online,
save family photos to cdr, and print stuff.  she would use X almost
entirely with the mouse under a normal user account.  she also has no
interest in learning unix/linux commands or the shell.  has anyone
tried to convert someone to Linux, how did it go?

jay