nautilus useless browsing windows

Iain Buchanan iain at pcorp.com.au
Wed Apr 28 03:32:23 UTC 2004

I've been cursing at the gnome developers for their strange
implementation of the new (2.6) nautilus style of browsing folders for a
while now:

- each folder opens in a new window
- unless you shift-double-click or double-middle-click, but then each
window has a different geometry and location, so I'm chasing windows all
over the screen
- no address bar for quick n easy navigation
- no 'up' button

however, I've just discovered the command
'nautilus --no-desktop --browser'
which brings back all the useful (IMHO) old behaviour.

However (again) I have just discovered that I can't delete the desktop
'Computer' icon, and replace it with my own launcher
'nautilus --no-desktop --browser Computer:///'

any ideas how I can get rid of it?  I've been searching around various
online and built in help, but so far to no avail.

TIA,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp.com.au>