Early thoughts on FC3

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed Apr 28 15:23:13 UTC 2004

K.M.Zammi Kahan wrote:

> Hi Pals,
>
> I’ve been using Redhat since release 6 and appreciate it is improved a
> lot along with the rest of the open source community. Currently I’m
> using FC test 2 and planning to upgrade to test 3 during the next
> weekendJ. Some of the features that I like to see in the next release
> of Fedora (FC3J),
>
> 1. Integrated system configuration interface.
>
> Although FC has all required config tools, integrated interface needed
> for centralized configuration.
>
> 2. Incorporate some multimedia tools like Xine/ Mplayer, K3B etc. By
> the time we will have more option like Vediolan’s VLC Player, Helix
> player as well.
>
> 3. Some missing plug-ins like (Flash, JRE etc). Today readers like
> acobat reader & Chm reader (xchm) etc also playing a big role.
>
> 4. Independent default art-work theme than Redhat’s default art-work
> theme. What about eye-candy desktop for home usersJ??. If both
> GTK/GTK+ and Qt programs can have same look & feel much better.
>
> 5. Improved main menu (Better categorization and program description
> will help user to locate the required program quicker).
>
> 6. Some stuff like PHP development tools, open source portal etc.
> Apache has more interesting projects to be considered.
>
> Does anyone have any interesting facts to share on FC3?
>
> Rgds,
>
> Zammi.

Man are you getting ahead of the horse.

Since I installed atrpm and then synaptic, I am very impressed with them as a package management system.

All of the above are a few clicks {and megs of downloads} away from installation with synaptic.

I don't see any reason why, FC3 would need to include the stuff with legal issues, as long as they are available after the install.

Google for aptrpms then install it as root and run 'apt-get update' then  'apt-get install synaptic', and soon you'll be rockin' with all goodies.

Happy Times