Please help me be rid of Windows forever!

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at Weiss.name
Thu Apr 29 00:35:50 UTC 2004

Okay, I'm about to take the plunge.

Up to now I've run RH on my home server (upgrading when FC2 comes out) and
Win2K as the main OS on the desktop, though I've multi-booted with RH.
Now the mother board is dying, and I've ordered new hardware (list below).
Supposedly Win2K doesn't work with SATA drives, and I'm unwilling to pay
to upgrade to WinXP, so now is the perfect time to move to FC (well,
perhaps it'd be better to wait until FC2...god, how I'm going to hate
having to upgrade my OS every six freaking months *sigh*)

Anyway, I could use a bit of help with the research so that the migration
goes smoothly.  Especially because I'm not sure if SATA support is working
well in linux yet.  Let me give you the list of what I'm buying:

MSI 865PE Neo2-FIS2R
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=433

Pentium 4 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB Prescott
1Gig Geil Low-Latency DDR400 RAM

Okay, here are my questions:

1) Is SATA support working now for either chipset on that motherboard?
(Intel® ICH5/ICH5R Chipset)

2) Are the other features of the board supported? (USB 2.0, IEEE1394, etc)

3) I use Neo DVD Standard to grab my home movies off of my MiniDV
camcorder, then use DVD Lab to make the DVDs.  Can I get my movies off of
my camcorder, and is there video software that's as easy to use as DVD
Lab?

4) My wife has two different digital cameras, a Kodak cheapy and a 1/2
decent Olympus.  What's the easiest software for her to use to get the
pictures off of the cameras?

5) The only game I play is Neverwinter Nights.  Has anybody tried this?
Supposedly it'll work, but I'm wondering if anybody's got practical
experience.

I'm sure that there will be more questions as I progress. :)  Thanks in
advance for any help.  I'm looking forward to a totally windows-free home!

Ben