RHCE

Tony Perrie tony at involution.com
Thu Apr 29 16:52:12 UTC 2004

I passed my first attempt at the RHCE on March 12 of this year on RHEL3.
I thought it was fairly painless, but I noticed a lot of the old hand
sysadmins did indeed have trouble because they did not pay attention.  I
read through the Osbourne RHCE book (from 2001) a couple of times as well
as going through all of the RHCT and RHCE practice tests on redhat's site.
Previous to the RHCE class, I had no formal *nix training outside of using
Solaris and AIX boxes for about 6 years for school/work/play and admining
various Linux machines around the intraweb starting sometime in 1997.

I think it is important to be paranoid about what you _don't_ know, _pay
attention_, and for Knuth's sake, stay off the intraweb (especially
slashdot ,irc, and email) whilst you're in the class.  Also, be honest
with yourself about what you don't know, and try to compensate for that
pre-exam.  This guy in our class was bragging about being at CERN when the
Morris worm hit, blah, blah, blah.  He failed the test.  So, even if you
know AIX, Unicos, Solaris, HPUX, VMS, OS/400, and had a 386 on bitnet
running Xenix in 1984, try to realize that even though the paradigm is the
same, the syntax is different.

Tony
http://www.involution.com