The easiest way to migrate to another (bigger) hard drive?

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Fri Apr 30 02:22:50 UTC 2004

You are right

> I tried ghost but it had issues..

I didn't go that path..

> Basically I have two 40GB drives with two RAID 1 partitions
> (md0 and md1)..

30GB -> 80GB notebook HD.

> md0 is / and md1 is an LVM PV with a number of LV's (/home /var /data
> and SWAP) on it..
>
> The only way I can think of to do it is to boot from one of
> the live CD
> type distros and have one of the old drives and one of the new drives
> connected and then partition the new drive, mount it and then
> copy the
> data from one to the other.. Then change over to the other old drive
> (the mirror) and the second new drive and do the same again..
>
> This seems very time consuming, laborious and prone to error..

Yes.. Time cosuming but if it's only 1 PC/drive. Bearable.

I used the systemrescuecd,booted off it, used partimage to save the
pastition to samba share. Changed the HD, partition it using qtparted
and then restored the partitions.

Restored the MBR and stuffs.

> Is there any other way to clone Linux drives that will also
> allow me to
> use drives with different geometry and hopfully be able to resize the
> LVM partition to make use of the space??

Mondo?? I wanted to try it.. but wasn't too successful (yet..)