Tar/Zip/Rar trouble

Ben Stringer ben at burbong.com
Fri Apr 30 08:16:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 16:53, J.L. Coenders wrote:
> Hi all,
> Does anyone know what how to hidden and backup files into an archive with
> tar/zip/rar?
> I want to backup my ~/Mail directory, but somehow it doesn't work with
> Fileroller so I want to try it manually (errors). However, I cannot find how

What are the errors?

> to pack hidden files. Maybe I am looking for the wrong thing or does anyone
> have another solution to my problem.
> And how can I test an archive to see if it works proper?

With "dot" files, you can either let tar's recursion pick them up by
tarring from the parent directory, or by specifying a regex that matches
them (like .??*).

Here is an example of the former case. The "tar tzf" is showing you the
contents of the compressed tarfile. Take out all the "z"'s if you don;t
want compression.

$ mkdir tartest
$ cd tartest
$ echo "Hello" > .hidden