LVM-Howto [Was : what are the restrictions on bootable partitions?]

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Fri Apr 30 08:24:24 UTC 2004

On Friday 30 April 2004 05:11, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> [...]
    I don't remember how I did this with RH9 to make it work, but I remember
I played a bit whth modprobe, the LVM tools and the man pages :)

> Please help.
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-guide/ch-lvm.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-guide/ch-lvm-intro.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/ch-lvm.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/ch-lvm-intro.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-lvm-intro.html
    I did install FC1 with Software Raid 5 and LVM on top of it, but doing so on less
than three physical disks results to up to 5 times slower transfer (because of the
raid). If you have 3 disks read speed increases and the write speed is almost the
same. Using ReiserFS I was able to resize 61G LV to 64G LV without errors. With
ext3 it worked, but fsck.ext3 had a lot of work to do (the partition was ~50G full).
I hope one day online resize will work with bouth and reiserfs will get more stable
with acl and SELinux support.
    http://www.aplawrence.com/Linux/lvm.html
    ps: putting the /boot partiton ouside the LVM worked fine for me.

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79