Problem with death windows smbfs mounts

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Fri Apr 30 09:51:28 UTC 2004

    Hello,
    I have some windows machines in my lan at home and wanted to mount
their shares. This works fine untill the windows machine is rebooted or
crashes. I can not kill processes that make use of the share 'cause they
are in 'D' state (ps xaw) and AFAIK such processes can not be killed
even with kill -9. Can someone suggest a workaround/fix for this? I know
I can use kde/gnome to browse the windows network directly, but this is
too slow and not all programs can make use of it. Will automount fix
the problem and if so, can someone give example configuration please.
(FC1 fully updated till today).
    I also want to ask will cifs solve this problem and will it work
with Win9x?

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79