Taming the mailing lists?

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Fri Apr 30 20:16:08 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Apr 30, Mikha ben Avraham did say:

> Personally, I prefer forums to mailing lists. Forums give the ability to
> separate different categories of problems and discussion.
>
> The major advantage I see for a forum compared to a mailing list is that
> a forum is more of a "browsing" medium, and mailing list just stuff
> everything down your throat. I want to check what sort of software
> problems people have, but to do so with a mailing list is intimidating
> (when I didn't check my email for a few days and found over a thousand
> emails, I certainly didn't read them all).
>
> Right now, I go to fedoraforum.org for help, but it doesn't have nearly
> the support base these mailing lists have. A combination of the mailing
> list membership with a forum would be nervana and would solve what I
> believe to be the "taming" problem.

I'm betting your not using a threaded mail reader... Or you haven't
configured your mail reader to use it <grin> When I first joined this
list I wasn't using pines threaded format And I could see what you mean
by "stuffing everything down your throat" Now I separate my lists with
filters, and use threading... much better. AND it uses MY choice in
interface. That is I use pine cause I like it!

And I suppose I could even filter on interesting keywords to further
divide up the volume into manageable folders if I wanted to.

But if your really keen on the browser interface, why not filter the
bulk of the list traffic out of your regular mail box. Then use a browser
to follow things in the archive instead... Personally I wouldn't like to
do that, but the archive is up to date. I just checked and your message
dated today is already there. So if you really want to browse for it.
you can.