FC2 test3 and nVidia driver

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 30 21:16:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 03:38:31PM -0700, Tim Alberts wrote:
> Anyone know the situation with nVidia and their graphics drivers.  I've tried
> to install the graphics driver on FC2 test2 and FC2 test3.  Neither worked.
> I sincerely hope that nVidia plans on updating their video drivers to support
> the 2.6 kernel soon.

In the past nVidia releases drivers shortly after a release is soup.
They seem to avoid the test releases because things change and break.

The good news is that the opensource drivers:
        #Driver      "nv"       # unaccelerated open
        #Driver      "vesa"     # unaccelerated open
are fast and work well with 2D stuff.  If you can do without
OpenGL for a while use these.

The mismatch is that the 2.6 kernel has a different stack size than
the 2.4. kernels.  Thus nVidia drivers built for 2.4. fail on 2.6.  A
handfull of people are building private kernels with the old stack
size and running the old drivers.

I think that Test3 is good enough to go and visit the nVidia forums
and ask for test bits to run on 2.6 kernels with the new stack size.

The correct place to ask more about this is on the Fedora Test mailing list
and the nVidia forums.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l