usb enclosure - control timeout on ep0in, device not accepting address

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Aug 1 16:36:36 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 10:41, Mr. Adam ALLEN wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 05:36, rusecure at rogers.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running Fedora 2 on an IBM R32 laptop.
> > Kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3
> >
> > I get the following error when I try and plugin a 60GB, USB 2.0, 2.5HD
> > enclosure:
> >
> > Jul 31 23:26:57 localhost kernel: usb 2-2: new full speed USB device
> > using address 2
> > Jul 31 23:27:02 localhost kernel: usb 2-2: control timeout on ep0in
> > Jul 31 23:27:03 localhost kernel: usb 2-2: device not accepting address
> > 2, error -71
> > Jul 31 23:27:03 localhost kernel: usb 2-2: new full speed USB device
> > using address 3
> > Jul 31 23:27:03 localhost kernel: usb 2-2: device not accepting address
> > 3, error -71
>
> I had the same thing with my USB hard drive enclosure on the laptop, and
> it ended up as a power issue (or lack of it). FWIW the laptop I have is
> a Dell L400.
>
> Try using a powered hub to see if that solves the problems.
>
> I had first borrowed my brother in-laws enclosure and just put it down
> to bad usb in 2.6 (this was with FC2 tests), and the 2.4 Kernel I had
> access to worked (but it wasn't the laptop and had a good PSU).
>
> When my enclosure is underpowered the drive constantly seeks just making
> lots of clicking noises.

And the drive enclosure does not have its own power source??  OUCH!!!!!.

If it does, make sure you use that and do not try to power a drive off
the usb port.

If it does not, then for sure use a powered hub. The hub should have
more power available than the PC/laptop port.

USB ports are severely limited in the amount of power available in all
cases (some more than others).  Devices that have high power demands
should IMHO never be run off the usb port but should have their own
power source.